Check to see if you are eligible for the Clean Cars for All program and submit an application.

How to Apply

Ready to check if you're eligible? Register for an account and APPLY NOW.

2020 CCFA Terms and Conditions (the 2021 Terms and Conditions will be updated in the coming weeks).
CCFA Clean Vehicle Checklist

You will be asked to provide documentation for the following categories in your Clean Cars for All application:

  1. Form W-9
    • Submit a Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (Form W-9). See an example W-9 form.
    • Download the PDF W-9 form.
    • You are required to submit a W-9 (not a W-2) to participate in this program. Funding from this program is required to be reported as taxable income. The Air District will send you a Form 1099-G (typically in January or February) next year for you to report on.
  2. Income Verification
    • You have two options to verify your income:
      • Your Federal Tax Return Transcript from the most recent tax year filed. Request an online transcript on the IRS website, and download an example Transcript.
      • A copy of your most recent Federal Tax Return (IRS Form 1040) and an IRS Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return, Section 6), which the Air District will submit to the IRS on your behalf.
        • See an example of Form 4506-T.
        • Download and fill out a Form 4506-T (form must be completed electronically and have a wet signature). 
        • Instrucciones para completar el Formulario 4506-T del IRS.
    • If you did not file taxes, you must submit a notarized Household Income Affidavit to the Air District (see example) AND an IRS Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return, Section 6) to request “Record of Account.” See an example Form 4506-T. IRS Form 4506-T must be completed electronically and have a wet signature. The Air District will submit the Form 4506-T to the IRS on your behalf. 
  3. Copy of valid California Driver License.
  4. Copy of California Certificate of Title (pink slip) with the applicant's name. You must submit a copy of the title with your application. If you are waiting for the title from the DMV, you must wait until you receive it before applying.
  5. DMV Vehicle Registration History for the last 2 years (registered and unregistered vehicles).
    • There are four ways to verify your DMV registration history:
      1. Provide DMV registration history. If there is a lapse totaling 120 days (late pay), you can provide insurance or repair invoices. If there is no lapse, we don’t need anything else.
      2. Provide the past 2 years of registration cards. If there is a lapse totaling 120 days, you can provide insurance or repair invoices. If there is no lapse, we don’t need anything else.
      3. If you can’t get your DMV registration history or provide 2 years of registration cards, then you can provide a current registration card and 2 years of insurance or repair invoices.
      4. If a vehicle with a clean title is unregistered due to a failed smog check, we can accept DMV vehicle registration renewal notice and a failed smog check (this shows you can’t register the car) and 2 years of insurance or repair invoices; or Overdue DMV bill or letter that shows the car registration has been suspended and 2 years of insurance or repair invoices.
    • You can’t mix and match document types. For example, you can’t have 1 year of registration history and 1 year of insurance/repair invoices. If you provide insurance, it has to be 2 years of insurance from the past two years without a lapse totaling 120 days. If you provide repair invoices, it has to be from 2 of the most recent calendar years (e.g. 2020 and 2019).
    • You can obtain a copy of your registration history online or in person at the DMV.
  6. Proof of Operability (only required if...)
    • An unregistered vehicle not meeting the Retired Vehicle Eligibility (referenced in Terms and Conditions) may be eligible if proven to have been driven primarily in California for the last two years and to not have been registered in any other state or country in the last two years.
    • Documentation may include the following:
      • Proof of insurance for two consecutive years, without lapses totaling more than 120 days; or two invoices from an Automotive Repair Dealer registered with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. Invoices must be from two separate calendar years and the oldest may not be older than 24 months.
      • Invoices must include the following:
        • Automotive Repair Dealer’s valid registration number.
        • Name and address of the Automotive Repair dealer.
        • Description of a repair or maintenance operation performed on the vehicle.
        • Vehicle year, make, model and vehicle identification or license plate number matching the vehicle to be retired.
        • Date of the repair or maintenance visit.
  7. Proof of Residency from within the past 90 days (only required if California Driver's License does not reflect current address).
    • Examples include utility bill, cell phone bill, pay stub, property tax, etc.

Subscribe to the Clean Cars for All Email List

Contact Us

GRID Alternatives


Contact Us