Open Burn Notification and Status

Find out how and when open burning is allowed in the Bay Area, what burn types are acceptable, and what the process is for notifying the Air District.

Burn Season Extension for Crop Replacement and Orchard Pruning & Attrition Fires

Due to heavy winter rainfall, the Air District has extended the permissive burn periods for Crop Replacement and Orchard Pruning & Attrition fires until June 30, 2024.
New Open Burning Notification Online Submittal

Fill out and submit your Air District Regulation 5 Open Burning Notification forms via the online form. The Air District will no longer accept any FAX notifications effective November 15, 2021. You may submit your Open Burning Notifications via the online link, email, or U.S. mail. See the compliance advisory for more details.
Smoke Management Plan

Submit a Smoke Management Plan (SMP) via the California Air Resources Board’s Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS). Consult the PFIRS User Guide and Prescribed Burn Procedures for details on how to submit an SMP and ignition requests to the Air District.

The disposal of waste material in an open, outdoor fire can be a significant source of air pollution. Smoke from open burning contains fine particles, harmful gases, and other toxic byproducts that can be inhaled deep into the lungs. Exposure to these pollutants has been linked to respiratory and heart problems, asthma, and in some cases, premature death. Those most at risk include children, elderly adults, and people with chronic respiratory problems.

Allowed Burning

To reduce the harmful effects of smoke on public health, open burning is banned within the Air District’s boundaries, except for the 17 burn types defined by the Open Burning Regulation.

Much of the legal open burning that goes on in the Bay Area takes place for agricultural or natural resource management reasons.

Each allowable burn type is only permitted during a specific time of year (also known as its permissive burn period), on a designated burn day. The Air District may extend permissive burn periods in some cases. Any proposed burn may also be restricted by local fire or other agencies.

Notification and Fees

The Air District must be notified of all open burns via the notification forms provided in the table below. Mailed notifications must be postmarked at least five calendar days prior to burning. Structural fire training notifications must be postmarked at least 10 business days prior to burning.

Some CAL FIRE regions require a burn permit and burn pile inspection prior to open burning. Contact your local CAL FIRE region for more information.

Qualifying agricultural burn types can avoid open burn fees by having waste material chipped instead of burned through the Agricultural Waste Chipping Program.

Open burn fees can be paid online: 

Open Burn Fees

 Make Payment 


Other Open Burn Fees

Prescribed, Marsh, Stubble, Filmmaking and Public Exhibition Fires

 Make Payment 

How to Burn

  1. Ensure your burn is one of the 17 allowable burn types and scheduled during its permissive burn period.
  2. Submit the appropriate open burning notification form and pay applicable fees prior to burning.
  3. Check CAL FIRE and other local burning restrictions.
  4. Call 1.800.792.0787.

Open Burn Forms and Information

Page Loading

Contact Us

Open Burn Status

800 792-0787

Compliance & Enforcement
Open Burn Notifications

415 749.4600

Compliance & Enforcement
Compliance Assistance


Contact Us

Spare the Air Status