Open Burn Program FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions - Open Burn Program

What is required before I conduct a prescribed burn?

A burn notification form must be submitted to the Air District prior to any burning. You must submit a separate burn notification form for each different burn address location and burn type.

After receiving your notification form, Air District staff will send you an invoice for the new program fee, which will include your open burn invoice number.  Please have this number with you at the burn site.  

Also, you must check with CAL FIRE and your local fire official to determine if there are additional local authorizations or notification requirements.

How do I submit a burn notification to the Air District?

Submit the completed notification form to the Air District via FAX or by mail.

  • FAX form to the Air District at: (415) 928-0338  or 
  • MAIL form to:  
    Bay Area Air Quality Management District,
    ATTN: Mail Stop - Open  Burn Forms,
    375 Beale St., Suite 600
    San Francisco, CA, 94105
How do I pay the open burn fee?

The open burn fee may be paid by check, cashier’s check, or money order.  An online payment option for major credit cards and debit cards is also available.

For payments via check, cashier’s check or money order, please remit the invoice and payment to:  

ATTN:  Accounting
375 Beale Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA  94105  

Please write the open burn invoice number on the check/money order to ensure proper credit. 

Who do I call if I need assistance?

For any assistance regarding open burn questions, please call the Open Burn general line at (415) 749-4600.

What will happen when an inspector shows up at my burn site?

The inspector will request your open burn invoice number for the burn site. The inspector will verify that the burn material is legal and consistent with the fire type you indicated on your notification form – please have a copy of this form at the burn site.

Spare the Air Status

Last Updated: 7/15/2015