Open Burn Notification and Status

Find out how and when open burning is allowed in the Bay Area, what burn types are acceptable, and what the process is for notifying the Air District.


As of April 19, 2021, Marin County Fire Department will be suspending all open burning in the State Responsibility Area and other areas directly served by Marin County Fire Department.

As of May 10, 2021, CAL FIRE has suspended all burn permits within the State Responsibility Areas of Sonoma, Lake, Napa, Solano, Yolo, and Colusa counties. Also, as of May 10, 2021 the County of Sonoma Fire Prevention Division has placed the same open burning suspension in effect within unincorporated Sonoma County (including LRA) and will coordinate with CAL FIRE on lifting the burn suspension when conditions are safe. Please click on the links to read the entire CAL FIRE and Sonoma Fire Prevention news releases.
Smoke Management Plan

Submit a Smoke Management Plan (SMP) via the California Air Resources Board’s Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS). Consult the PFIRS User Guide and Prescribed Burn Procedures for details on how to submit an SMP and ignition requests to the Air District.

The disposal of waste material in an open, outdoor fire can be a significant source of air pollution. Smoke from open burning contains fine particles, harmful gases, and other toxic byproducts that can be inhaled deep into the lungs. Exposure to these pollutants has been linked to respiratory and heart problems, asthma, and in some cases, premature death. Those most at risk include children, elderly adults, and people with chronic respiratory problems.

Allowed Burning

To reduce the harmful effects of smoke on public health, open burning is banned within the Air District’s boundaries, except for the 17 burn types defined by the Open Burning Regulation.

Much of the legal open burning that goes on in the Bay Area takes place for agricultural or natural resource management reasons.

Each allowable burn type is only permitted during a specific time of year (also known as its permissive burn period), on a designated burn day. The Air District may extend permissive burn periods in some cases. Any proposed burn may also be restricted by local fire or other agencies.

Notification and Fees

The Air District must be notified of all open burns via the notification forms provided in the table below. Mailed notifications must be postmarked at least five calendar days prior to burning. Structural fire training notifications must be postmarked at least 10 business days prior to burning.

Some CAL FIRE regions require a burn permit and burn pile inspection prior to open burning. Contact your local CAL FIRE region for more information.

Qualifying agricultural burn types can avoid open burn fees by having waste material chipped instead of burned through the Agricultural Waste Chipping Program.

Open burn fees can be paid online: 

Open Burn Fees

 Make Payment 


Other Open Burn Fees

Prescribed, Marsh, Stubble, Filmmaking and Public Exhibition Fires

 Make Payment 

How to Burn

  1. Ensure your burn is one of the 17 allowable burn types and scheduled during its permissive burn period (PDF).
  2. Submit the appropriate open burning notification form and pay applicable fees prior to burning.
  3. Check CAL FIRE and other local burning restrictions.
  4. Subscribe to the Open Burn Status (RSS) feed or call 1.800.792.0787.

Open Burn Forms and Information

Form NameDivisionDocumenttable-mobile-only-column
Open Burning Notification FormCompliance & EnforcementOpen Burn Form
Open Burning Notification Form
Compliance & Enforcement
Open Burn Form
Marsh BurnCompliance & EnforcementMarsh Burn Form
Marsh Burn
Compliance & Enforcement
Marsh Burn Form
PFIRS User GuideCompliance & EnforcementUser Guide: BAAQMD Reference Document for PFIRS
PFIRS User Guide
Compliance & Enforcement
User Guide: BAAQMD Reference Document for PFIRS
Prescribed Burning ProceduresCompliance & EnforcementProcedures for Conducting Wildland Vegetation Management Fires (Prescribed Burning) in the Bay Area
Prescribed Burning Procedures
Compliance & Enforcement

Contact Us

Compliance & Enforcement
Compliance Assistance


Contact Us

Spare the Air Status